2.“You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.”
Anger is a lethal weapon. Apart from slaying the enemy, it also slays you. When you’re angry, your words deceive you and they hurt others. Therefore, it’s advisable to remain silent and not speak when something annoys you.
3. "You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
We often expect to receive love and affection from others. In that process, we start neglecting ourselves. We try too hard to get attention. However, we forget that loving one's own self comes before loving others. You cannot love selflessly, until and unless you understand yourself.
4. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
The message here is to think happy thoughts that will keep you happy throughout the day. Being optimistic is better than having negative thoughts. Seeing the glass half-full is a way better perspective than seeing the glass half empty.
5. “You only lose what you cling to.”
Getting attached to a thing is the biggest mistake we can make in our lives. It is when we get too dependent on it that we start losing it.
6. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
Indeed an enlightening quote! Here, Buddha wants us to learn from our own experiences and not from the reviews of others. What suits one person may not necessarily suit another.
7. “Physical charms attract the eyes, goodness attracts the mind.”
Good looks are an asset - however, a good character is an identity. It’s completely wrong to judge someone only by their looks and not by their character.
8. “Just as on a rubbish heap swept up on a main road a purely fragrant, delightful lotus might there spring up, even so amidst those rubbish heaps (of men) does the savaka of the Perfectly Enlightened One outshine in insight the blind puthujjana”
Even if you’re surrounded by filth, but you’re strong enough to resist the bad, you will grow like a lotus in a mud lake. If you’re a student, with hard work, you will outshine all other ordinary students.
9. “When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.”