The brain needs its own brand of fuel. It requires healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and adequate vitamins and minerals. Consuming too little of these foods and too many complex carbohydrates, processed foods and sugar stimulates the production of toxins in the body. Those toxins can lead to inflammation, the build-up of plaques in the brain and, as a result, impaired cognitive function.
HERE’S A LIST OF FOODS LINKED TO INCREASED RATES OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE:
- Processed cheeses including American cheese, mozzarella sticks, Cheez Whiz and Laughing Cow. According to Alzheimers.net, build up proteins in the body that have been associated with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Processed meats such as bacon, smoked turkey and ham contain nitrosamines, which cause the liver to produce fats that are toxic to the brain.
- Microwave popcorn contains diacetyl, a chemical that may increase amyloid plaques in the brain. Research has linked a buildup of amyloid plaques to Alzheimer’s Disease, reports Alzheimers.net.
- Beer. Most beers contain nitrites, which have been linked to Alzheimer’s.
HERE’S THE LIST OF FOODS THAT HELP BOOST MEMORY FOR SENIORS AND THE REST OF US:
- Leafy green vegetables
- Berries and dark-skinned fruits
- Coffee and chocolate
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
The lesson: There is no magic memory pill. Instead, the link between diet and memory is to eat and drink the best fuel to keep your brain humming along at it’s best.
source and courtesy: healthyveganstyle.com