We all make mistakes, especially when we’re learning something new. As basic as meditation appears to be, there are mistakes you can make as you’re learning how to do it. Meditation is a wonderful thing to do; it helps you feel calmer and more confident, as well as recognize the importance of each individual moment. These are mistakes to watch for, whether you’re a seasoned meditation expert or a beginner.
source and courtesy
Many times, people who are new to meditating go into it with a great deal of expectations. They hear the amazing success stories of yogis who have found their form of nirvana or people who’ve cured themselves of various psychological ailments. Going in with a lot of expectations runs parallel to what meditation is all about.
2. “Clearing” your mind.
Meditation is not necessarily about clearing your mind. Could you imagine having a clear mind? I’ll have a mind void of thoughts when I’m dead and not a moment sooner. If anything, meditation should be geared toward calming your mind, not wiping it of all activity. Be sure to focus on your breathing or a certain type of thought.
|image credits: www.besthealthmag.ca|
Meditation works best when you do it routinely. I’m not saying you have to do it for hours every day, but if you’re meditating for 20 minutes in the morning, make sure it’s every morning, or every afternoon, or whenever it is you’re doing it. Make it a thing.
4. Meditating in the closet.
You do not have to hide your meditation from anyone. One mistake people make is acting as if meditation is something to be ashamed of and hiding it from the people they love. If you feel like you have to meditate in the closet, you likely won’t stick with it.
No, you do not have to sit cross legged with your fingers pinched on your knees. You can meditate however you like. Sitting up, laying down, hanging upside down, sitting at the kitchen table, wherever. It doesn’t matter.
6. Judging your meditation.
It’s easy to leave a meditation session and feel like something went wrong or it just didn’t go like you’d hoped. But consider numbers one and two in this list. You don’t need to level expectations or force anything with your meditation session. Just enjoy it.
7. Overuse of guided meditations.
Guided meditations are my favorite, but it shouldn’t be all you do. You should let your mind take the meditation wherever it’s going to go, not necessarily have someone else tell you how to meditate every time.
It’s not the clothes you wear, the ceremonies you perform, or the meditation you do, says Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse. It’s not what you eat, how much you drink, or who you have sex with. It’s whether you agree with the four fundamental discoveries the Buddha made under the Bodhi tree, and if you do, you can call yourself a Buddhist.
The message of the four seals is meant to be understood literally, not metaphorically or mystically—and meant to be taken seriously. But the seals are not edicts or commandments.
You may not have been born in a Buddhist country or to a Buddhist family, you may not wear robes or shave your head, you may eat meat and idolize Eminem and Paris Hilton. That doesn’t mean you cannot be a Buddhist.
The Beautiful Logic of the Four Seals
When we see that our possessions are all impermanent compounded phenomena, that we cannot cling to them forever, generosity is already practically accomplished.
A Deeper Understanding of Karma, Purity and Nonviolence
Even if you were to feed all the hungry beings in the world, if you acted in complete absence of these four views, then it would be merely a good deed, not the path to enlightenment.
The Four Seals: A Package Deal
Richness Within Renunciation
Adopting Wisdom, Dropping Distorted Mortalities
The Tea and the Teacup: Wisdom Within Culture
It’s time for modern people like ourselves to give some thought to spiritual matters, even if we have no time to sit on a cushion…
For many of us, our eyes go bad after some time. It becomes harder to see close to your face or further away. Sometimes we can't really see either anymore.
Wearing glasses or contacts usually helps, but is there a way to repair your vision? Definitely! Here's how:
- Make sure you give your eyes a rest for 3 hours a day.
- Do the 16 simple exercises you see on the chart below to improve your vision and strengthen your eyes. All you have to do is follow the lines in the picture below with your eyes.
- Spend some time not wearing glasses every day.
- Massage your eyes very gently several times a day.
- Try not to look at computer screens more than you have to.
- Spend time in nature looking at the things we're really supposed to.
- Gently press warm, damp cloths against your eyes for a half hour every day.
- Drink carrot juice every day.
If this is your first time trying this exercise, it helps to focus on an item and stare at it for a while. Your mind will absorb the meaning of the symbol. Your eyes may water and want to close a little bit. This means they're relaxed.
Here are eight little reminders you can tell yourself the next time you feel as if you have run out of any kind of motivation.
1. It’s Easy!
A good reminder for when you are low on motivation is to remember that the little things are easy to do and take almost no time at all. Think of all the minor things that you wanted to do but never got around to it because you didn’t have the extra two minutes it would’ve taken to fold your laundry.
You can re-motivate yourself by doing some of the littler things that are much easier to tackle first. If it’s a much bigger task, go at your own pace and take it on little bit by little bit!
2. Meaningful Exhaustion
Don’t you love having the kind of meaningful exhaustion you get when you’ve been out doing something all day? It feels like it’s a good kind of tired that we feel when we want to pass out and wake up to do it all over it again.
It’s important to remind yourself that you are exactly what you plan on doing today and you are not the things that you are going to do someday. Even if you need to get into exercise, then that’s a pretty big step-up!
3. Worry Isn’t Well
It is not wise for you to be wallowing around all day with your worry about the things that you are unable to change or do. Instead of worrying so much, think of the things that you could be doing to help or solve the problem instead.
You are your only limit and you should not put unnecessary stresses on your life. Take the time to console your worry, remind yourself that you are only human and that it is okay to go at your own pace.
4. Repetition Is The Key To Balance
Repeating exercise routines, going on walks, and or finding something that requires you to do it, then repeating the process over and over can really motivate you back to some of the old things you use to love and enjoy.
It’s important to remind yourself that each day you wake up in is going to require some form of repetition. Through this, you will achieve a balance within yourself, knowing exactly what works and what doesn’t work.
5. Stray From Negative People
If you find yourself being surrounded by numerous negative people, then remove yourself from their existence entirely. You do not need to have constant negativity in your life and would be tremendously better without it.
Negative people have only the cruelest of intentions with very misguided and selfish gestures. You will find yourself lacking even more motivation if you decide to continue to be around people who want nothing more than to bring you down.
Another important thing to remind yourself when you are lacking motivation is that you must be willing to accept the things that you will never be able to change.
This includes the things about yourself, the things about other people, and the things about our planet. There are some certain things that none of us are ever going to be able to control and that is more than okay to admit that to yourself. You are only human after all.
7. There Is Always A Choice
You have the option to either be extremely positive and view the world as such or you can choose to be negative, finding various reasons why you shouldn’t go on anymore, give up all hope on the things that you’ve never finished or wanted to do.
Remind yourself that it is a choice to be this way, and that you will always be able to change your mind on the way you feel. If you no longer want to be sad, realize that you are the only person stopping yourself from being happy.
8. Let Yourself Cope
Life will always be throwing adversity at you, the best thing you can do about it is just to cope with it. Some people do not know how to cope well with their emotions and often times lash out in extreme ways that they regret later on.
Do not allow yourself to lash out, remind yourself that things are as they should be, the world will continue moving forward from this day on, and that you will be okay even though it hurts a lot right now.
Hopefully this has helped you reclaim some of your motivation for day to day life!
Jim Carrey is one the world's most beloved actors and people. He's made us laugh, he's made us cry, and he's shown us that life is about being happy, regardless of what that looks like.
While Jim is widely known for his extreme caricatures and portrayals of comedic characters, his success has given him the perfect platform for which to share his insights on life.
As a philosopher, Carrey has mused over the dialectics of peace, given his thoughts on the Illuminati, and even discussed topics like vaccinations. Now, Carrey gives us another bit of insight and inspiration.
He touches on his battle with depression and bipolar disorder, and even explains how he was able to stop taking Prozac. He shares sympathies with those who become addicted to pharmaceuticals because of chronic conditions and how they cause a "low level of despair."
But perhaps the most inspirational part this video is Carrey's take on religion:
"I'm a Buddhist, I'm a Christian, I'm a Muslim, I'm whatever you want me to be. It all comes down to the same thing. You're in a loving place or you're in an unloving place, if you're with me right now you cannot be unhappy, it's not possible."
Watch the whole video, and listen, as Carrey sheds light on the world we find ourselves in today.
Meditation. Does it really do everything people say it does? Join us as we explore the truth of what happens to your body and to your life overall when you practice meditation.
- ► 2017 (474)
08/07 - 08/14
- 10 Interesting Facts About Buddha
- 7 Common Meditation Mistakes And How To Avoid Them...
- What Makes You a Buddhist?
- 80% Of Heart Attacks Could Be Avoided If Everyone ...
- Thousands Of People Have Improved Their Vision Usi...
- 8 Simple Reminders For When You Feel Broken
- When Jim Carrey Was Asked If He Is Religious, He G...
- This Is How Your Brain and Body Physically Changes...
- 5 Hidden Dangers Associated With Drinking Alcohol ...
- 4 Reasons You Still Don’t Have The Life You Deserv...
- THIS CHART TELLS YOU EXACTLY HOW MUCH SLEEP YOU NE...
- An Introduction To Buddhism Part 2: The Teachings
- An Introduction To Buddhism Part 1: History And Or...
- Replenish These 4 Types Of Energy To Never Feel Si...
- 7 Reasons Why You Should Drink Green Tea Every Day...
- 15 Simple Ways to Overcome Anger - A MUST READ
- Bhutan Celebrates The Birth Of Their Crowned Princ...
- 20 Little-Known Facts About Buddha You Haven’t Hea...
- 14 Amazing Psychology Facts Everyone Needs To Know...
- Do You Have a Spot on Your Iris? THIS is What it M...
- 10 Simple Ways to Keep a Happy, Healthy Mind
- 6 Habits To Largely Improve Your Memory and Brain ...
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Try Walking Meditation
- 5 Kidney Damage Symptoms You Are Most Likely To Ig...
- 25 Pieces Of Zen Buddhist Wisdom You Never Knew Yo...
- This Was The Last Message of the Buddha
- How To Let Go Of Worries To Be Free And Happy ? He...
- “Buddhism Is An Amazing Religion” Says Facebook Fo...
- 7 Types Of Pain You Should Never Ignore
- THIS Is What Your Hand Size Says About Your Person...
- Parents Of Successful Kids Do These 10 Things In C...
- There Are 4 Types of People According to Buddha - ...
- 6 Interesting Links Between Your Birth Month & You...
- Science Confirms A Controversial Teaching Of Buddh...
- Mix These 2 Ingredients and See What Happens To Yo...
- Buddha Said A True Friend Has These 7 Qualities
- ▼ 08/07 - 08/14 (36)