Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (14 April 1891 – 6 December 1956), popularly known as Baba Saheb, was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer who inspired the Dalit Buddhist Movement and campaigned against social discrimination against Untouchables (Dalits), while also supporting the rights of women and labour. He was Independent India's first law minister and the principal architect of the Constitution of India.
Ambedkar was born on 14th of April 1891 in Madhya Pradesh. He extensively campaigned against social discrimination of Untouchables (Dalits). He was the architect of the Constitution of India which came into effect on 26th January 1950. Ambedkar was very good at studies and earned various doctorates.
Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar fought against 'untouchability' throughout his life. He played a major role in Mahatma Gandhi-led Harijan movement, protesting against social injustices faced by people from backward castes. He was one of the first to point out that Hinduism is the foundation of the caste system. In 1956, he converted to Buddhism.
14th of April 2016 marks his 125th Birthday so here presenting you 15 facts you didn’t about the architect of India’s Constitution.
1. His full name is Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar & his famously known as Babasaheb.
2. He was a social reformer, politician, economist, professor & lawyer
3. He was the 14th child of his parents & was born in low-caste (Mahar – Dalit)
His father was a ranked army officer in British East India army & his ancestors have worked for long in British East India Company’s army.
4. His Brahmin teacher, Mahadev Ambedkar, who was fond of him changed his surname from Ambavadekar to Ambedkar
5. His alma mater includes University of Mumbai, Columbia University, University of London & London School of Commerce.
- Matriculation from Elphinstone College affiliated to the University of Mumbai, he was the first untouchable to do so.
- Postgraduation in Economics, Columbia University.
6. Ambedkar was India’s first Law Minister.
7. He was also the first Indian to pursue a doctorate in Economics abroad.
8. Ambedkar married twice, first to Ramabai and next to Dr. Sharada Kabir
His son from second wife was Yashwanth. Ambedkar’s grandson, Ambedkar Prakash Yashwanth is the chief advisor of Buddhist Society of India.
9. He was the person responsible in reducing the Factory working hours from 14 hours to 8 hours.
10. He framed many laws for Woman Labors of India.
Which includes Mines Maternity Benefit, Woman Labor welfare fund, Woman & Child, Labor Protection Act.
11. He resigned from the cabinet, when the Parliament was unable pass his bill to support Women & gender
equality that was his Personality.
equality that was his Personality.
12. Reserve Bank of India has been adopted based on Ambedkar’s instructions only.
13. It 2 years & 11 months time for Ambedkar to prepare the Constitution of World’s Largest Democracy. He is also known Father of Indian Constitution
Ambedkar has made research on various constitutions which were available at that time. But preparing a Constitution in just under 3 years is a great achievement.
14. Since 1948, Ambedkar suffered from Diabetes and was bed ridden from 1954. He died in his sleep on 6th December 1956.
15. In 1990, he was posthumously conferred with India’s highest honour Bharat Ratna
Some of his great Quotes:
learn more abour Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar on his 126th Birth Anniversary Here
source and courtesy: rajnikantvscidjokes.in